Three New Scores from Internationally Acclaimed Violinist and Composer Amy Barlowe!
We are thrilled to present the works of Amy Barlowe, whose works have captured the attention and praise of some of the leading violin professionals and professors across North America.
About the The Etude-Caprices
Amy Barlowe has composed three new etude-caprices, following up on her previously published 12 Etude-Caprices in the Styles of the Great Composers, an impressive collection of innovative and versatile etudes that has received rave reviews worldwide. These short unaccompanied etudes for violin are invaluable both as study pieces and for competitions or recital programs. The etudes address various musical aspects such as sounding points, varied vibrato, and techniques for improving intonation with the goal of increasing facility, musicianship, and stylistic awareness. Each original etudes provides a fresh and unique approach to the age old tradition of technical study. Preparation for the major works of the great composers has never been more fun!
Amy Barlowe's Newest Etudes are Available Exclusively at Ovation Press!
About Amy Barlowe
Ms. Barlowe received her B.M. and M.M. degrees from the Juilliard School after studies with Ivan Galamian and Margaret Pardee. She also studied chamber music with coaches Josef Gingold, Felix Galimir, Samuel Rhodes and Earl Carlyss.
As an extremely accomplished composer, Ms. Barlowe has had her arrangement of “Schindler’s List” endorsed by John Williams and published by Hal Leonard for two violins or violin and viola with orchestra, as well as for the same combinations with piano. Her original compositions and arrangements include works for two violins and piano, an opera ballet, and a Requiem Mass. Her two Celtic duos for two violas appear on a CD recorded by the Aureole Trio and have been released on the Koch International label. In addition, Ms. Barlowe's critically acclaimed solo and chamber performances have taken her throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico.
Amy Barlowe is the recipient of numerous awards including the Helena Rubinstein Scholarship, Atkinson and Northwest Area grants. Gingold has praised her for "...fine musicianship, excellent instrumental qualities, and a devotion to all things musical."
Ms. Barlowe has been featured on PM Magazine, performed as guest artist on numerous radio stations, and toured extensively throughout the Northwest as violinist of the Oregon Trio. In 1988, she and her husband, Alan Bodman, formed the Duo [AB]2 (AB-squared). They have recorded for the Medici and Azica labels.
Critical Praise for Amy Barlowe and the 12 Etude-Caprices
The 12 Etude-Caprices have been received with great acclaim from numerous violinists including:
- Jamie Laredo, internationally acclaimed solo violinist, chamber musician, and conductor: "This collection...should be in every teacher's & aspiring violinist's library."
- Paul Kantor, Cleveland Institute of Music Violin Faculty: "With her experience as a concert performer, the creative skill of a composer and the abundantly evident care of a dedicated teacher Ms. Barlowe has made an important contribution to string pedagogy."
- Joseph Gold, concert violinist and musical historian
- Stephen Clapp, Violin/Chamber Music at the Juilliard School
- Lee Wilkerson, Associate of the Royal Conservatory of Toronoto
- Patricia McCarty, Boston Conservatory and Faculty at Meadowmount
- Charles Avsharian, Concert Performer, teacher, and CEO of Shar Products
See the complete list of Amy Barlowe's scores on her editor profile page.